(SQUARE-ENIX, BUNGIE, ANIMAL LOGIC...)
MARCH 7 - 8, 2020
CREATE COMPELLING CHARACTERS FOR GAMES AND ANIMATION
Concept Artist, Illustrator and Art Director
Dani is a freelance art director, concept artist and illustrator working for the video game and animation movie industry. He loves fantasy and sci-fi and is passionate about character design.
He’s the author of Draftsman’s Close and ...
The workshop focuses on the character design, development and presentation, from the blank paper to the final render of the character. Includes 2 live demos, one using traditional tools and another focusing on digital ones.
The assistants will create a character from scratch too, and develop it until the final render with me. During the demos and the working time, I’ll introduce discussions about usual requested topics I get, such as balancing between personal projects and work, developing your portfolio, how to grow your social media and tricks I’ve learnt during the years.
- Author’s Introduction. A presentation to show the path I followed highlighting the moments that have determined my career.
- Character Design Theory. Small presentation and discussion about what’s a good character design. How to beat the blank paper, creativity techniques and brieﬁngs. Example of what I usually get from a client.
- Sketchbook: Design Techniques and tools used (pencils, paper, quick color tools). We’ll start working on small designs on the sketchbook.
- We’ll create a brieﬁng and I’ll do the Demo 1 using my sketchbook. At this point, we’re trying to ﬁnd only the idea behind the character.
- Everybody Draws. Sketches.
- Character clarity and narrative. Talk about clarity on the design. How to clean your idea from the sketch
- Silhouette, Weight and Balance. Talk about shapes, rest areas, silhouettes, composition, balance, etc.
From the purely visual point of view what makes a character interesting.
- Render Techniques and tools. (Photoshop or Procreate, Brushes). Presentation about the workﬂow I use for characters. Breakdown of the brushes and tricks used and where to focus depending on what stage of the design you’re at.
- Color Palettes and Final Rendering. Talk about color, focusing on how to get a vibrant but still cohesive palette on your characters and how to get a 3D ﬁnish without spending insane amount of hours.
- Demo 2. I’ll develop one sketch produced the day before and I’ll take it to ﬁnal render using Photoshop or Procreate.
- Everybody Draws. Render.
- Feedback. I’ll save enough time to go table by table giving personal feedback to everyone while they draw.
- If there’s time we’ll do a portfolio review.
DISCUSSIONS DURING DEMOS
- How to develop your portfolio.
- Portfolio Review
- Social Media Management
- Work vs Personal Projects
- Finding our own personal style to be comfortable and enjoy
- Best Advices I’ve ever had.
- The Animation Industry
- The Videogame Industry
I like to ask the classroom what do they prefer or what do they want to do, so all the steps describer above are general guidelines subject to be changed on the ﬂy. Depending on the level of the classroom we’ll go faster or slower and we’ll touch the subjects with more or less depth.
COST AND SCHEDULE
Cost: € 399,00 VAT included. For more info on discounts and promotions visit the FAQ page
Saturday and Sunday 10:00–13:00 14:00–19:00
Course language: English
Availability: 20 people
- Laptop+Graphic Tablet or iPad + Pencil;
- Traditional media tools, such as watercolor, markers, or whatever you’ll like to experiment with at the workshop;
- Whatever is comfortable for you to sketch with (sketchbook +pencil or pen, etc)
Notes: An interpreting service will be available for a minimum of 5 requests.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Courses organised by IDEA Academy have a limited number of students. By enrolling to IDEA Academy's courses, participants give their consent to the cancellation and refund policies. CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS
HOW TO ENROLL
Courses can be booked:
via email to email@example.com